Friday, 1 August 2008

Preparing for my return....

Well as I am 5 days off leaving the cold easy life of Melbourne, and another 8 days before I fly back to my warm but somewhat less easy life in Bougainville, I can honestly say I am glad to be going home. Well my home for the moment. That's not to say that I wont miss the people, the ease of living, internal plumbing and toilets, supermarkets that are well stocked with food and products (even if I really feel that we really do get too much choice of products - its a bit much sometimes), actually any simple supermarkets will be missed....

But I return to a home of warmth and friendliness - of people who care, who live a simple but effective life, a life that is a slower pace, but has its own challenges... I also have no idea what has happened while I am away - from nothing, and everyone and everything is still the same - to a diverse difference.... Are we running the training the week I return? Who knows - the emails from Bougainville haven't suggested that - doesn't mean its not happening... Will the families still be there? I suspect so - but again this is the land of the unexpected.... Will Sr Isabel have been working effectively - ha - the biggest challenge.... Have we lost all of our lay workers?

But I am looking forward to the next phase in my adventures, in my experiences and in my work. I am aware that the first 6 months has flown, and the next 18 months will only go quicker. I am also aware that my outlook is changing, the way I approach life, and of how I think and process experiences, people and the universe is shifting - I am happy and comfortable however when I return at the end of the assignment it will take some adjustment.. But I don't have to think about that challenge just yet.

So as I prepare to return, I think about my holiday, and although its been full on, I have really enjoyed seeing people, places and just being able to take it all in. There are some real challenges ahead, but you know, there are some great times, experiences and laughter to be had as well. And i prepare myself for another experience of culture shock going home - this culture shock business.... I am getting a bit expert at it!

But as a very close friend of mine and I say constantly (so much so we had it tattooed on) SEIZE THE DAY!