Saturday, 9 January 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

Its a weird thing coming home... even for a visit... but to come home and not know when your going BACK to the place you have just come from, just spent 2 years of your life, a place where you feel at home, where you have been adopted by the people as one of their own!!!! That's very very tough - and almost impossible....

The last 5 weeks of my time was amazing, I spent real time with real people, I participated in fundraisers, visited friends where possible, finished up the work I had started - well tried to! And did my best extracting myself from a place where I really felt like home... Its not been easy.

The good thing is this - the adventure doesn't finish here - on March 8, I fly out of Melbourne for another adventure. At least 3 months, maybe more - it depends on a few things, but I fly Hong Kong, Cairo, Amman, Beirut, Paris, Toronto, Nashville and then home. All destinations to visit friends or family, some new places and some very familiar places.

And it proves to me that there is life beyond Bougainville... And at the moment thats an important step to move forward - even if I do go back to continue to help them, its important for me to get some space...

As for Melbourne, its been wonderful catching up with friends, although I haven't managed to see everyone yet - there is plenty of time for that. Melbourne is hot and DRY... So different from what I am used to - my skin doesnt know whats going on... Its always nice to touch base with home, nice to reconnect - even if your hearts not really here! Then again- who knows where my heart is!!!!

If you find it - pop it in the post and send it back....

Cheers for now...